2 september 2009

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

In short: Bad things come in threes for Toru Okada. He loses his job, his cat disappears, and then his wife fails to return from work. A chain of events follow that prove that his seemingly mundane boring life is much more complicated than it appears.

My judgment: I never read the blurb on the back cover of a book before I start or even finish it - not even the lauding expert or press review fragments. The praise on the back of my copy of the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is dazzling and I see where it comes from. But my feeling about Murakami's chunky novel is a bit mixed. Calling a book 'impressionistic' can be a eufemism for 'vague' or 'arbitrary', even 'random'. The events in this story are often (seemingly) missing what an average reader like me automatically but not necessarily consciously looks for, almost as a reflex: meaning, motive. This is sometimes resolved much later in the book, but mostly it isn't (don't come tell me they represent other layers of meaning, I am a shallow person blind to any kind of mystique). As a chronicle, it basically recounts a curvy, branched off line of events - either bizarrely intertwined or discomfortingly alienated from other content. Events that don't really seem to lead to a conclusion or a resolution, even though that same reader's reflex wants them to. Luckily, Murakami's style is utterly serene and subtly uplifting, making it the most important driver behind the story. He writes with an incredible lightness about an unbearable emptiness of being, and that makes for an uncanny, sometimes laborious yet enjoyable reading experience.

p.s.: pretty annoying detail I discovered just now.

Geen opmerkingen: