8 juli 2009

The World According to Garp - John Irving

In short: "In the world according to Garp, we are all terminal cases." A novel about the life of T.S. Garp, the bastard son of Jenny Fields - a feminist leader ahead of her time. To quote the Chicago Sun-Times: "Like all extraordinary books, Garp defies synopsis..."

My judgment: At the age of 20, I read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, and couldn't help but think that I should've read that book when I was 15 or 16. The impact might have been bigger - even though it was very impressive at a later age - and the timing would've been just perfect, latching onto all the
cerebral chemistry going on in an adolescent's head. At 32, I've the feeling that I was just in time to read The World According to Garp. I'm not a parent (yet), I'm not an aspiring author (anymore ;-)) and I have no relevant opinion regarding man vs. woman. But if any of these would be the case, the novel would have possibly been too overwhelming. Irving hits the emotional string throughout the story without being overly sentimental, quite an impressive feat altogether (which I recognize in The Ciderhouse Rules, of which I've only seen the movie). Against that emotional undertow, he writes down - with plenty of wit and composed absurdity - marvellous observations of the human condition that stand out as being original and recognizable at the same time. A splendid reading experience, and I am curious to see if I'll ever feel the urge to re-read (like I do now with Catcher).

Geen opmerkingen: